[GLLUG] Not Resolved: Firefox's Chattiness

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:52:28 EDT 2016

I tried configuring dnsmasq to block domains from communicating with
Firefox.  It seemed to be done correctly (and more simply than I had
dared hope), because it did cut down on traffic with two of the three
domains I tried to block, but the third, starnetusa.net, seemed to be
unaffected.  Firefox seemed just as slow as before.  So, I guess I'm
done with Firefox after many years as a happy user.

Vivaldi and Slimjet, both based on Chrome or Chromium, seem to be
suitable replacements, with the addition of an extension to help manage
cookies.  Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise from browsers based on
Google products, but neither browser has very good cookie management
tools.  It's pretty much keep them all or delete them all.  There are a
few I need to keep, so that I don't have to keep reconfiguring my TV
Guide schedule, for example, but I found an extension that will keep the
ones you want and let you delete the others on start-up.  It's called
Vanilla Cookie Manager.  Now I just need to look for an extension that
will let me export my bookmarks and I'll be all set.
--

                                Chick