[GLLUG] Not Resolved: Firefox's Chattiness

Jason Froebe jason.froebe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:50:49 EDT 2016

What about using firewall rules?

jason

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-user [mailto:linux-user-bounces at egr.msu.edu] On Behalf Of Chick
Tower
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 4:52 PM
To: linux-user at egr.msu.edu
Subject: [GLLUG] Not Resolved: Firefox's Chattiness

I tried configuring dnsmasq to block domains from communicating with
Firefox.  It seemed to be done correctly (and more simply than I had dared
hope), because it did cut down on traffic with two of the three domains I
tried to block, but the third, starnetusa.net, seemed to be unaffected.
Firefox seemed just as slow as before.  So, I guess I'm done with Firefox
after many years as a happy user.

Vivaldi and Slimjet, both based on Chrome or Chromium, seem to be suitable
replacements, with the addition of an extension to help manage cookies.
Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise from browsers based on Google products,
but neither browser has very good cookie management tools.  It's pretty much
keep them all or delete them all.  There are a few I need to keep, so that I
don't have to keep reconfiguring my TV Guide schedule, for example, but I
found an extension that will keep the ones you want and let you delete the
others on start-up.  It's called Vanilla Cookie Manager.  Now I just need to
look for an extension that will let me export my bookmarks and I'll be all
set.
--

                                Chick