[GLLUG] console based monitoring of server.

Peter Christenson pac1.mi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 12:04:50 EST 2016

Good day and happy new year to everyone on the GLLUG mailing list.

I am contemplating on how I want to setup and display information on my
console, and would like your feedback and recommendations.

I want to setup a auto login/limited user on my system. (Debian) that shows
a clean simple overview of the servers stats.  (think ESXi console)
things that I would like it to do/show

   - always on console, very low footprint so probably no X.
   - show standard info,eg.
      - GNU/Linux 14.1 / Debian 8.4 Jessie
      - System information (as of Sat Dec 31 15:55:37 2016)
      - System load:  0.00               Memory usage:  41%
      - Processes:    72                 Swap usage:    0%
      - Usage of /:   12.5% of 49.09GB
      - IP address for eth0:  192.168.1.119
      -  but with updates
      - it would be nice to have Temp/Fan stats
   - ability to login with other credentials and change settings

I hope your feedback can guide me in the right direction.
thank you for your time.
Peter.