[GLLUG] Partition Resizing

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:33:58 EST 2016

The ext4 root (/, not user) partition of my PC is 94% full, so I want to
add space to it.  I don't have LVM running, so that's not a solution.  I
could back-up that partition, destroy it, re-create it in a larger size,
format it, and restore the data, but I'd rather try to leave the data
intact, back it up, and just expand the partition and then the
filesystem.  Has anyone ever used resize2fs to expand the filesystem?
If so, did it leave the data intact?

I also know I could create new partitions for /var, and maybe other
parts of the installation.  /home is already on a separate partition. It
also appears that parted/gparted can do what I want, so I'm going to
check that out.  Are there any other solutions I'm missing?
--

                                Chick