[GLLUG] Partition Resizing

David L Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Wed Jan 6 14:31:18 EST 2016

Yes, I've used resize2fs to expand a filesystem, and yes, it did leave
the filesystem still usable, with all files and directories still
there.  I've usually done it with a filesystem that was already on top
of LVM, but if you use some other tool to expand the partition it sees
the expanded partition and expands the filesystem to fit. I have done
that as well.

The tricky part about what you're proposing to do is expanding the
partition without losing the exact beginning-point. The "fdisk" tool
forces you to delete than then recreate a partition, but gparted has a
"grow" operation (and, as I recall, can even "move" a partion to another
overlapping spot on the disk).

--
David Lee Lambert * KD8WQF * (cell) +1 586-873-8813
IM: davidleelambert (Yahoo!, Skype and Google Talk)