[GLLUG] Web Browsers

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 13:41:06 EST 2017

I was planning to write a message telling you of my search for a new web
browser after Firefox began sending so much telemetry that my dial-up
internet access speed was cut down to a quarter or less.  Then this
article showed up on LinuxToday.com

http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-the-fastest-linux-web-browser/

You may recall that I complained about Firefox a few months ago.  Since
then I've tried several other browsers.  I stayed away from Chrome and
Chromium, since I'd like to avoid Google's attempts to collect my
private information.  I tried two privacy-enhanced versions of Chromium,
Slimjet and Iron, and another modified version of Chromium called
Vivaldi.  These are pretty much covered in the article.  I also tried
Midori, Qupzilla, Arora, and Rekonq, which use the webkit library.  I
even tried some keyboard-driven browsers, Xombrero and dwb, thinking
that being stripped-down browsers would make them pretty fast.

Speed was my primary criterion, although stability and the proper
display of web pages was also important.  I didn't use any of the tests
SJVN did in the linked article, but differences in speed are pretty
apparent over dial-up.  I'm happy with Firefox on my laptops when I'm
someplace with a wireless access point, but it sucks over dial-up, even
with as much of the telemetry turned off as I could figure out.

The webkit browsers were unsatisfactory, either through lack of features
or instability.  They weren't noticeably faster at displaying web pages,
either.  The stripped-down browsers weren't faster at displaying pages
and lacked even more features.  Of the modified Chromium browsers,
Vivaldi was noticeably faster than any of the other browsers I looked
at.  It has a lot of nice features I had never seen before.  All of the
Chromium browsers use Chromium add-ons and extensions, of which I use
only two, Ghostery and Vanilla Cookie Manager.  So I am a happy Vivaldi
user now.

I do use the text-based browser links frequently, just to read articles
that I don't need any graphics for, like news stories.  That is the
fastest way to browse the web, but there are many sites it doesn't work
with.  For those interested, some other text-based browsers are lynx,
links2, elinks, and w3m.  The latter can view images, although the
layout on the page is messed up.
--

                                Chick