Funky hardware problem

Alan Garrison agarris@voyager.net
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:03:37 -0400

Paul Melson wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 10:59:41AM -0400, Alan Garrison wrote:
> > Is anyone familiar with this kind of problem, and
> > do you know if its the motherboard or not?  I'm
> > going to be fscking pi55ed if I have to get another
> > one.
>
>         In the CMOS, what's the typematic rate set to?
>         I had an older (Socket 3) AMI BIOS motherboard
>         that, when the battery died, defaulted the
>         typematic rate to 2, which is unbearably slow.
>
>         Also, did you take the KVM switch out of the
>         loop?  (that was unclear in your message)
>         I've never seen that exact problem, but it
>         could be a factor.  I've got a KVM that, if
>         you switch it too fast the keybd won't respond
>         at all, even though video is fine.

Ok, update:  I put the corded keyboard directly into the
server and, VOILA, it works fine.  Now I notice that
my workstation (also connected via KVM) is starting
to act weird.  The mouse is suddenly jerky, and although
the keyboard is more responsive, it still seems a little
slower.  So I guess my most recent question would be
has anyone heard of a *KVM* acting this way?   I have a
4-port Cybex, and as far as what I've heard, Cybex makes
pretty good KVM's.  Guess it is time to send those guys
an email.

I love my KVM, and it turns around and stabs me in the
back... :(  At least it is not the motherboard.  The
KVM also has an DC outlet which the docs says is used
if you stack multiple KVMs on top of each other.  I wonder
if I plugged it in if it would fix the problem...

>         Also, is it PS/2 or 5-pin DIN?

Both keyboard & mouse are PS/2.

Tim:  I read up in the motherboard manual, and it
does not contain any reference to any "breakers"
for the keyboard (or anything else).

--
Alan Garrison  ___ agarris@voyager.net
"MD5:  An encryption method used on the Internet."