OT: Sun & Gnome = ?

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
18 Aug 2000 09:47:15 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Alan Garrison wrote:
> > I have yet to see one salesperson there with half a clue.
> > The "No Commission" thing is nice, though.
>
> I worked for Best Buy for a summer selling computers.  I think
> I had slightly less than half a clue.  What I'm really aching
> to do is head over there and ask the car stereo people about
> the Pioneer unit I bought last November.  On the front it talks
> about MOSFET, and I'm curious if any of those guys know 1. What
> MOSFET stands for and 2. How that relates to car stereos. =) (I
> know the answer to #1 from my EE classes,

For everyone else, it's Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect
Transistor.

> not sure about the answer to #2, but it would still be fun to
> see what they come up with... ;) )

According to Hambley[1], FETs ``are often used as the input stage
of radio receivers to achieve low third-order distortion.''
Beyond that I don't know of anything, but I'm not a EE geek, just
an EE student[2].

[1] Hambley, Allan R., _Electronics: A Top-Down Approach..._,
Prentice-Hall 1994.

[2] Geeks know more than students, and sometimes a lot more than
engineers, too.
--
Can I go now?  I have a program I'm working on.
  from _The Tao of Programming_