news media

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:55:02 -0400

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 04:37:05PM -0400, Sean wrote:

> Where You CAN hit the nail, is by asking the simple question. Why
> are all the courses taught to Windows machines? Are you guys too
> stupid to be able to teach this on another platform?
>
> (yes this can cause some profs eyes to bug out so don't EVER ask it
> this way especially to your prof)

Many profs are not conforable on anything other than Windows.  And
that doesn't mean that they are stupid.  Alan Turing would probably
have problems using a modern computer.  Why is Windows popular?  There
are many reasons which could be stated.  It does meet the minimum
requirement for the general public.  It's easy enough for the average
person to feel comfortable using.

> If you are trying to run one of the best CPS programs why do you
> bother having Windows machines?  If UNIX pays 10k more per year, why
> do I want to bother to learn, Windows.

If learning was pure acedemia, there would be little reason.  There
would be little reason to study Linux.  Acedemia is about explorering
knew ideas like Mach kernels.  But if you look at it to prepare you
for the job on the outside world, the fact of the matter is that
Windows reign supreme in many parts.

> Are our profs any good? they don't seem to know much about computers
> other then Windows.

Are our profs any good? they don't seem to know much about Quatum
theory.

> If M$ still hasnt been able to get HotMail moved off Solaris/FreeBSD
> what good is teaching how to use Windows, when I will have to use
> UNIX in the real world or don't our profs know about the real world?

Teaching how to use Windows, unfortunately is probably easier to use
than teaching how to use UNIX.  Linus' parents and sister use either
Windows or a Mac.  Why? because they wouldn't feel comfortable enough
with Linux.

> If I came here for an education, and I want to learn and I want to
> be the best. Why do you restrict my learning to windows?

I don't think anyone is stopping you from learning other things than
Windows, but for some people Windows == computers.

The school provides systems that they think will be used by the most
students, and most of those people have no opinion on M$.  The
techincal merit of Windows is not a concern.  To them, it's a simple
question of if it meets their needs.  And to the general public yes.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7@msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seent it.