little soldiers - msft

Andrew Keen keenandr@msu.edu
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:48:36 -0400

Before I start- linux-user isn't a politics/philisophy/semantics based
list. My apologies, I shouldn't have posted the original reply to the
list. This is my last response to the list- if anyone wishes to discuss
this further, I'd be more than happy to discuss this in private email.
But just clarifying what I said before:

I never said that it shouldn't be discussed. I never remotely suggested
that society should avoid analysis of the past. As a matter of fact, I
believe almost exactly the opposite. I believe in open discussion. But I
still stand by my assertion that comparing what amounts to a corporate
sponsorship to mass indoctrination trivializes the crimes of the Nazis.
Now, if Microsoft was establishing an Anti-Piracy club with uniforms and
sweeps of offices and homes and mandatory membership, then, yes, I could
consider a comparison between Nazi programs and whatever Microsoft was
establishing as a valid comparison. But take a look at
http://www.bgca.org/partners/ . Would you consider any of the other
companies on that list engaging in forced indoctrination?

Targeting children is hardly unique to the Nazis. From "Only You Can
Prevent Forest Fires", to an organization that teaches weapon and
survivalist skills, wears uniforms, has a very stratified membership,
complete with ranks, and excludes children of different religious
beliefs- yes, the Boy Scouts of America.

As for pirates- that's a very loaded word. It ties the illegal copying
of software to an incredibly violent, brutal activity, as opposed to a
white collar crime. It's much easier for SW publishers and the SPA/BSA
to claim victimization by 'pirates' than 'copyright infringers'.

Don't get me wrong- I don't like Microsoft. But accusations of Nazi
tactics? That does everyone a disservice.

-ark