little soldiers - msft

Alan Garrison agarris@voyager.net
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:56:16 -0400

Andrew Keen wrote:

> Targeting children is hardly unique to the Nazis. From "Only You Can
> Prevent Forest Fires", to an organization that teaches weapon and
> survivalist skills, wears uniforms, has a very stratified membership,
> complete with ranks, and excludes children of different religious
> beliefs- yes, the Boy Scouts of America.

On the religion note, they (at least officially) don't exclude
other religions, typically so long as their is some single
diety that is said to definitely exist (basically Christian,
Jewish, Islam, Buddhist, and various hybrids).  Of course,
there has been recent problems with the stance on homosexuality
and a problem with the Unitarians.

>From the Boy Scout Handbook:
"All your life you will be with people of different faiths
and customs.  The men who founded the United States of
America gave us a heritage of religious freedom.  It is
our duty to respect others whose religion may differ
from ours, even though we don't agree with them."

BTW, I am an Eagle scout.

(and yes, this thread is getting quite off-topic)

--
Alan Garrison  ___ agarris@voyager.net
"MD5:  An encryption method used on the Internet."