Napster at MSU?

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
01 Mar 2000 17:02:44 -0500

"Jeremy Bowers" <bowersj2@msu.edu> writes:

> - If... if if if it is Napster, then I want it banned or throttled
> immediately. Let the students whine about censorship; let them first look up
> the definition of censorship before they do so, because banning Napster
> ain't censorship by any stretch of the imagination.  I've got projects that
> are suffering because the network is being toasted.

One problem is that there is no real way to ban a particular
protocol.  It is always possible to tunnel through something else
if you are determined.

Of course, you can make it very difficult.  If you make it
difficult enough, it won't be a problem since the majority of
users won't be able to outwit it.