corel linux

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
08 May 2000 10:48:22 -0400

Mike Rambo <mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us> writes:

> Could some of you knowledgeable Debian users give me a quick
> rundown on how to use the Debian package manager (or direct me
> to website with said content) as well as URL's to find the
> upgrade files the Debian package manager uses?

You want to use apt.  First use `dpkg', the basic package
manager, to make sure that apt is installed:
	dpkg -s apt
It should either tell you that apt is not installed or
information about the installed version.  If apt is not installed
then let me know and I'll tell you how to get it.  Otherwise, set
up an apt `sources' file.  This is /etc/apt/sources.list.  You
might already have one.  Some sensible contents would be the
following:

deb ftp://debian.egr.msu.edu/debian stable main contrib
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

After you've set up this file, just type
	apt-get update
Then you can search for packages with commands like
	apt-cache search communicator
and get information on particular packages with commands like
	apt-cache show mozilla
and actually install packages along with all their dependencies
with
	apt-get install mozilla
etc.