FTP Client and Server

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:38:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Alex Morris wrote:
>   Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use in FreeBSD to set up an
> FTP server and what I could use for an ftp client?  I'm trying my hardest to

FreeBSD comes with an ftp daemon and an ftp client.  Both work
reasonably well.  If you're looking for something better in the
way of a console-mode FTP client for FreeBSD, try NcFTP, I've used
it in the past and it allows you to make bookmarks and such for
sites.  There are also some FTP servers in the ports tree.

> Now if only I could set up my printer (USB) and learn TeX, then I'd be well
> on my way to doing something useful...  Speaking of printing, does anyone
> know what it takes to get FreeBSD to be able to print to a printer across
> the network?  I'm assuming I'd need Win2k to set up some sort of print
> server, or can I share the printer and print to it without a print server?
> If worse comes to worse, I'll have to set up a print server in FreeBSD and
> have Win2k be the one printing across the network.

Install and configure LPRNG, it's what I use to print to our
networked HP printer at work here.  Not sure how FreeBSD interacts with
a printer on a Win2k box though.

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Network Services