Compaq Armada M700?

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:23:57 -0400

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 03:33:04PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:

   Hi guys.  I'm considering buying a Compaq Armada M700 laptop from a
   friend of mine.  I'm wondering if any of you have personal
   experiences with GNU/Linux on such or similar laptops.  I've
   already seen some of the webpages on them, which make it sound like
   'most everything will work, even the modem (possibly).

   Here's the configuration direct from my friend:

       Compaq Armada M700.  Its [sic] the highest model Compaq made.

       Specs:
       12GB HDD
       8MB Rage Mobility Video
       14.1" TFT
       PIII 500Mhz
       192 MB RAM
       4X DVD w/TV Out
       Integrated Intel 10/100 MiniPCI Ethernet Card
       Integrated 56k v.90 modem (Lucent Chipset I believe)
       2 PCMCIA Slots
       On the back:  IR, Serial, Parallel, Monitor, USB, and
       Keyboard/Mouse
       (ps/2)

   By the way, the price he's offering me for it is $1700.  Does this
   look like a good deal to you guys?  I don't know a lot about laptop
   pricing.

I don't have experience with the Armada, but the hardware is similiar
to my Dell Inspiron and it runs just fine w/Debian (unstable though
since XFree86 4.0 is needed)  I have found the following site very
useful for info on the level of Linux support on a specific laptop:

   http://www.linux-laptop.net

I think the price might be a little high, but I tend to sell used
stuff cheap. General/retail from Dell online for a bigger config only
comes to $1978.00 (free DVD for a limited time):

   PIII 850 MHz
   14.1 XGA TFT Display
   192 MB SDRAM
   20 GB Ultra ATA HD (Downgrading to a 10 GB saves you $100)
   8X DVD Drive
   Internal 56K + 10/100 Mini-PCI Combo

Dennis