Window managers

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:52:50 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:53:26PM -0400:
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
> > Sawfish is the other one I'm looking at.  I actually have it running
> > on my second display instead of another copy of IceWM, so I can
> > play around with 2 WM's at the same time! =)  Sawfish is configurable
> > with LISP, which means it should be capable of just about anything,
> > and it doesn't include any of the things a window manager shouldn't
> > do (loading wallpaper, etc.).  The GNOME panel works with it, but
> > not entirely perfect.
>
> Yow!  I didn't know such things existed.  I'll have to try it
> out.

Heheh, figured you might like that one... =)

> (Next thing you know, Emacs will include a built-in X window
> manager, so that there's no need to run any other apps.)

I can just see someone sitting down to work at Ben's computer
in the future, with an Emacs-like window manager, and having
absolutely no clue how to get anything done... ;)  (Kinda like
the confusion on people's faces when they sit down at my box
with its Dvorak keyboard! =) )

> Heh heh.  "Anything + a programming language" is much more fun
> (and useful) than the "anything" or "a programming language"
> taken by themselves.

Hell yeah, I love script writing to do cool stuff within applications.
One of my big things was to write scripts for my MUD client.  Even
though the scripting language it had was pretty crappy, I think it
limited you to only one line per alias/trigger/whatever, it was
still a lot of fun to play with.  The big problem I have now with
"things you can extend indefinately with a built-in language" is
that I don't have time to learn them all to the level at which I'd
be proficient enough to get them to do all the far-fetched and cool
things I think of. =P

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org