LinuxPPC, or MkLinux install

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@msu.edu
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:46:23 -0400

Of all the *nix systems I have installed, I would have to say that MkLinux
was the biggest bitch of them all.  I might be wrong, but I thought the 7200
was one of the very few machines that wouldn't run MkLinux due to some sort
of driver problem with XF86.  I've found that LinuxPPC works best, or
YellowDog. My guess is that you will have to install a minimal (like floppy
disk sized) MacOS onto the system so you can load the kernel and the bootX
extension into your system folder. Then do a standard install of LPPC 2k and
it should work.

On a side note, you may want to check out OpenBSD or NetBSD. I believe both
run just fine on a 7200.  I've actually tossed Linux to the wind in favor of
BSD kernel systems. They just seem to work better.

-Mike

On 8/8/01 12:13 AM, "iMacdude@mac.com" <imacdude@mac.com> wrote:

> I have the install CDs for MK, and PPC Linux.  I have been  trying to
> install either on my old Mac 7200/75.  I bought an internal 2gig drive that
> I am trying to use, though it is not an "Apple Supported Drive."  The drive
> partitions using pdisk, or Harddisk Toolkit, the install goes just fine.
> But I just can't get Linux to boot.  PPC comes with xboot that just starts
> the install process again.  Mk starts up ok, but when I click "Boot to
> Linux," the machine freezes.
>  I am not sure which one is better or worse, I would just like to get one
> to work.  I am a Linux newby and am itching to dig in.  Is my drive the
> problem, or are the manuals missing a step or two?  Help

|Mike Szumlinski           |
|Michigan State University |
|A26079565                 |
"The future is no place to place your better days" -DMB