Oddball Hybrid Format CD-RW Disc

Marr marr@shianet.org
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:02:03 -0500

Fellow GLLUGers,

My brother-in-law has a CD-RW disc that I (and he) cannot read under Linux.

It was created by a third person under (I think) Windows using Adaptec 'Easy
CD Creator' (which I've used before myself).  The disc was apparently
packet-written (i.e. using the UDF filesystem) but is actually a very bizarre
hybrid of ISO-9660 and UDF.

When I mount the disc in either of my CD-RW-capable Linux PCs, all Linux sees
is an ISO-9660 disc with 2 files -- 'autorun.inf' and 'udfrinst.exe' (the
Adaptec UDF reader for systems with [Windows] OSes that cannot handle UDF
filesystems). The disc cannot be mounted with the '-t udf' option, even
though there are UDF files on the disc.  Of course, I have support for UDF
reading built into my kernel as I do this all the time.

Now, I think I know why those files are there.  It seems to be some attempt
at a transparent way to make a Windows system which lacks some sort of
UDF-capable application (e.g. Adaptec DirectCD or Adaptec 'UDF Reader')
capable of actually reading the UDF files on the disc.  My Windows system
already has DirectCD, so it handily reads the disc, presumably even without
the 2 'phantom' ISO-9660 files.  In fact, under Windows, I don't ever see the
two ISO-9660 files; all I see are the expected UDF data files, the ones that
Linux cannot find or see.  In fact, much like a truly packet-written (UDF) CD
and very much unlike an ISO-9660 CD, the CD-RW disc shows that there is space
available for more files, so I know the data files were written as UDF format.

I thought maybe it was a multi-session CD, but everything I've tried (mostly
testing with 'cdrecord' and its various options) seem to prove that it's not
multi-session.

I'm trying to figure out just what kind of weird hybrid disc this is and if
there's any way to read it under Linux.  I already tried the '-o session=###'
option of 'mount -t iso9660' but to no avail.

Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here?  Is this just some
illegal, non-standard bastardization of the ISO/UDF standards?

This is not a show-stopper issue, but it's an itch that I'd like to scratch.
:^)

TIA....

Bill Marr