DocBook

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:10:19 -0500

DocBook, and SGML in general has some nice properties.  Many TeX/LaTeX
supports often use the ability of TeX to separate the content from the
formatting.  Basically when you are writing something, you should
worry about the content rather than how it looks.  My biggest
complaint is a lot of the tags are there to define how the documents
look.  SGML, DocBook being a specific application, makes a distinct
seperation between the two.  The SGML file specifies the information,
while the DSSSL file describes how that information should be
formatted.  Added bonuses of DocBook is the DocBook book from O'Rielly
is available at http://www.docbook.org.

SGMLTools, can convert SGML + DSSSL into basically two formats HTML
and JadeTex.  Plaintext is created by using w3m to convert the HTML.
DVI, PS, PDF, RTF, are generated using Jade from the JadeTex output.

So techincally you can use LaTeX, LaTeX2HTML it, and then use w3m to
get a text file.  Infact here's the line of Python that the w3m (aka
plaintext) backend uses:

self._tracer.system ("w3m -T text/html -dump %s >%s" \
                    % (stdoutfile, destfile))

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It was the best of times, it was the worst
  nguyend7@msu.edu  |  of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was