linux at cse

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:36:14 -0500

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:05:59PM -0500, Adam Pitcher wrote:

   I know I may regret this, but tell me what all you might want on
   those machines.  That way you don't flood the manager mail and an
   open forum may help.
   Yes pine is not installed.  There are no "packages" for pine on
   storm linux.  We need to compile and push it out.  Yes NIS is used
   for printing like the regular unix machines.  However LPRng doesn't
   like linux as well and you have to append the print server.  So you
   have to do things like:

   lpr -Psound@atlantic somefile

You should be able to use a printcap file or printcap generating
program (from an NIS table,etc) to handle this.  For example, the
printcap entry should work for the above:

sound
        :lp=sound@atlantic:client

Allowing you to use: lpr -Psound [file]

You will need the option force_localhost@ in the lpd.conf file for
this to work.  This is especially useful in client configurations
since it does not need the "lpd" daemon running (one less thing for
people to attack).  I have tested this on Debian 2.2 systems.  I don't
think the LPRng configuration on the CSE Sparc system would work out
of the box due to the many changes in the LPRng software and
/etc/printcap syntax since version 3.5.1.

Hope this helps.

Dennis Kelly
Network Administrator
College of Engineering