MIDI+laptops+linux=???

Scott Wood treii28@yahoo.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:17:35 -0700 (PDT)

I stumbled across something that I didn't think existed yesterday so now I am
curious what other nefarious beast-lets might be out there in the savage
forests of linux code sources....

I have a laptop and I would like to play with MIDI on it.  Apparently, there is
a docking bay available for it that has a bit more expansion on the existing
sound card, includes a CD rom and also a joystick port.  I will probably get
one eventually if I can find one at a good price on ebay.

Anyway - I recently got a new MIDI controller and as a result also got a couple
of sound modules.  A Roland SC-88 and a Korg 05R/W.  Before these devices
arrived, I also hit Guitar Center in Canton and took a looksie at some of their
serial/parallel port MIDI expansion devices.  I took a chance on getting a
Mother of the Unicorn (MotU) "Pocket Express" and it appears to work just fine
with the current winblows drivers for both A/B midi input-output channels via
the parallel port.  It also purports to do serial (two seperate RS-232c
channels) for interfacing with Macs.

As it turns out - both the Roland and the Korg also include a serial port MIDI
connection capability.  Completely by accident last night while looking for a
certain midi song-patch, I ran across something called 'NoteMIDI for linux'
which claims to be able to talk to SC-88 and similar devices using midi via
that serial port connection.  I am going to pick up the appropriate cabling and
see if it will also work with the korg and the MotU.

In the meantime, is anyone aware of anything like NoteMIDI that might also work
with the parallel port MIDI interface(s)?

Scott