AFS on Linux?

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:43:27 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:28:05PM -0400:
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
> > I thought this topic was discussed before, but I couldn't find
> > anything in the archives about it.  Is anyone able to access their
> > AFS space from Linux here on campus?  I can do it with ARLA on my
> > FreeBSD box, so I assume I should be able to do it on Linux (except
> > that the Debian package for ARLA is beyond out-of-date, have to
> > build from source... =P ).  Sigh, need laptop to arrive so I can
> > try it... =P
>
> Yes.  There are *many* ways:
>
> 	* IBM's own AFS client, which is now GPL'd.  I dunno if
>           it's ready for prime time though.

OpenAFS is big, it's going to take them a while to get things
ported and working right (hopefully not a Mozilla story all
over again, that's been quite a mess!).

> 	* Arla.  This has worked before for me.

I figured it would since it works for FreeBSD.  Did you download
packages or compile from source?

> 	* Coda should work, I think.

Hrm... might.

> 	* Samba via pilot (?).

You said the 'S' word!!!!  Samba is a good idea, until you try
hacking the code to make it do things it doesn't want to do, like
work with our setup here at MSU.  Then Samba becomes the bane of
your existance... ;)  Or at least the bane of *MY* existance! =)

> 	* NFS (read-only) via afs.msu.edu.

Read only isn't all that useful.

> 	* FTP to pilot.

Bah humbug!

> I have personally used arla, samba, NFS, and FTP at different
> times.

That's the confirmation I think I was looking for... =)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org