gateway prmo

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:56:20 -0400 (EDT)

I usually wouldnt forward crap like this but it seems to be a decent deal.
Basically you can get a Gateway 6400 Server for 500 (plus ~100 in
shipping and taxes). they pulled their website  and you have to phone
order. This rest of the details I shamelessly am posting from a BBS I
frequent.

Jun 8, 2001 10:40 from The Guru
Here's some new news on the Gateway deal.  Apparently they pulled the
website
ad.

Please though...don't scroll the forum with comments and such.  If you
want
one, call Gateway at 1-800-846-5211 and get the deal.  The add for it is
at
http://www.gatewayatwork.com/gw_atwork/smbus.shtml in the middle of the
page if
they ask for some kind of confirmation.  The link doesn't work, but the
promotion was till June 30.

Please don't x me either...  I'm posting all I know.  Ask them to only
give you
a 1 year warranty and get the other $99 dollars off the price as well,
making
it an even $500 or so I believe.

The Crucial web page for memory is at
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.as
p?model=6400+Series+Servers&x=21&y=24

Here you go:

More on Gateway 6400 Server Promotion

After over 100 of you took advantage of the Gateway 6400 Server promotion,
it
appears as though they have yanked it from the web site. Not exactly sure
why,
but one Gnomie reported that the same deal was available via phone. If you
navigate their site from the home page, click the Small & Mid-Size
Business
link on the left side of the page, then you'll see the Business Servers
from
$599 promo box right there, which illustrates that this is indeed still a
valid
promotion. They apparently just don't want the orders placed via the
website.
This may be because they are targeting businesses versus individual users,
but
if you ask me, putting the Gateway name in hundreds of homes in addition
businesses can't be a bad thing.

For those that were able to get an order placed, you'll notice that the
RAM
included is ECC memory. ECC is generally quite expensive, but well-known
RAM
manufacturer Crucial is offering ECC RAM at a heck of a deal. They list
CAS 3
RAM (see the GnomeSystem section above for more on this), which isn't the
highest performing stuff, but that's what they have spec'ed out for the
6400
server, thus it must be what comes with it anyway. The pricing is quite
good
with 256MB PC133 ECC SDRAM running at $70.19. The server can take up to
2GB of
RAM, so you can pick up a couple of 512MB DIMMS for $199.01 each if that
suits
your needs. Shipping is free via UPS 2nd Day, which makes it an even
better
deal.

Want to know more about the motherboard in this bad boy? Well, it's made
by
ASUS as the CUR-DLS ServerWorks ServerSet III LE, and includes 2 64-bit
and 5
32-bit PCI slots, on board ATI Rage-XL 4MB video, Intel 82559 10/100
Network
interface, supports Wake on LAN, and includes a dual channel LSI 64/32-bit
Ultra2 SCSI interface. While it does have a two-channel IDE controller
onboard,
it's not an ATA100 interface, supporting UltraDMA66/33 and PIO modes 3 and
4.
The board is fully ACPI compliant and features the System Management Bus
interface as well as CPU throttling capability so you won't cook your
processors if things get too hot. After looking at Pricewatch, there were
2
vendors that listed the board at $350, then many others that have it at
well
over $600, so this is quite the bargain considering you're getting the
entire
server for less than $600 shipped to your door.

Many of you inquired about the possibility of using this as a workstation.
While this is possible, realize that PCs and Servers are tooled a bit
differently. Workstations are light on storage performance and
manageability
features, while servers are light on video and multimedia capabilities.
What
this means is that you will have to add a sound card and video card to the
server in order for it to function more as a desktop workstation. The
problem
is that it does not contain an AGP slot, so you die-hard gamers will be
stuck
with a PCI video card, which will limit the top-end performance somewhat.
There
are still some very nice PCI video cards out there, so don't be
discouraged.
This machine can be made into a workstation if that's what you want to do.
The
fact that you can upgrade the processors to a higher speed and add a
second
processor is certainly an attractive feature - one that made me decide to
buy
the server in the first place. A standard Intel Pentium III 933MHz FC-PGA
processor is all you need to buy in order to upgrade this system to
dual-processors. Including this from Gateway at order time will cost you
another $499, but these chips can be had on the open market for less than
$200
today. Even going through Gateway's Accessories area will let you purchase
the
necessary processor for $213.

[Intel PCs And Clones> msg #165350 (0 remaining)] Read cmd ->