Postfix, QPopper...

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
14 Oct 2001 19:30:16 -0700

"Matt Fuerst" <fuerstma@msu.edu> writes:

> Thus far all works fine. I have set up my MX Record and e-mail is flowing
> into my boxen quite nicely. I can do a pine on my local machine, and there
> my email is. Woo hoo. From another local machine, I can pop in and get my
> e-mail, so I have popper set up (at least partially). My trouble comes from
> sending an email from the outside. This doesn't work.

You are sitting outside your internal network and trying to send
a message to a machine inside?  That's what I understand from the
above.  Or maybe you are sitting inside your internal network and
trying to send a message to a machine outside.

Either way, if that's causing trouble, then you might be best off
trying to send a message using telnet.  Just telnet from the
machine that you're sending the message on to port 25 on the mail
server, then start talking SMTP.  Sample session:

    blp:~(0)$ telnet localhost smtp
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to pfaffben (127.0.0.1).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 pfaff.Stanford.EDU ESMTP Exim 3.32 #1 Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:28:22 -0700
    HELO pfaff.stanford.edu
    250 pfaff.Stanford.EDU Hello pfaffben [127.0.0.1]
    MAIL FROM: blp@pfaff.stanford.edu
    250 <blp@pfaff.stanford.edu> is syntactically correct
    RCPT TO: root@pfaff.stanford.edu
    250 <root@pfaff.stanford.edu> is syntactically correct
    DATA
    354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
    foo bar!
    .
    250 OK id=15sxUf-0000g6-00
    QUIT
    221 pfaff.Stanford.EDU closing connection
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    blp:~(1)$

This approach will let you see the *real* errors that sending
email is causing.  It looks like Outlook Express doesn't say
anything useful, so you have to try something else instead, and
telnet is the easiest way.
--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already