Open source or free search engines

Bennett, Daniel daniel.bennett@jnli.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:15:23 -0400

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:25:08PM -0400, Edward Glowacki wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with any of the open source or free
> search engines, i.e. ht://dig, swish/swish-e/swish++, harvest and
> glimpse, isearch, or mnogo/udm search?  This would be from an
> administrative standpoint.  Just curious how easy they are to setup,
> how easy to customize the results, interfaces to PHP etc., relevance
> of results, and whatever else you can think of, and I'm interested
> to see if anyone has any success or horror stories about various
> products before I spend way too much time trying to get each of them
> to work... ;)

	I've used ht://dig and something called ASPSeek.  ht was
reasonably easy to set up, but could easily be crippled by a large
database (about 2GB) and the maintenance skyrocketted.  I've had
a few problems with the ASPSeek server abending but for the most
part it's fast and stable and can index and search a larger database
in the fraction of the time it takes ht to do it (I'm still trying to
figure out what the tradeoff is as the accuracy isn't too bad either).

	dan