[GLLUG] WEP Encryption Woes

Paul R. Kucher kucherpa@msu.edu
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:35:13 EDT

I have been running a wireless network for a few months now, however I
cannot get Linux to work with WEP. The Internet works great on my laptop
with the Netgear card I have, but wide open to crackers. I have been really
happy with the card, and it even came with Linux drivers, which isn't even
the main problem. (BTW: WEP works great in M$ Windoze) I am running Mandrake
8.2 and have been using Draknet to do the configuration. I try punching in
my 128-bit key into the proper text box, but it just causes my card to not
link up. Does anyone know how I can get WEP working? I have consulted every
page on wireless networking with Linux on the Net it seems with little luck.
I am using the wavelan_cs driver, perhaps that's my problem. However, I
can't seem to find the orinoco_cs driver on my system. Any thoughts please
let me know so I can secure my network.

Sincerely,

Paul Kucher