[GLLUG] Recompiling problem

Michael Harrington HarringM@michigan.gov
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:17:31 -0400

ok output of ls -l /dev/cdrom:
/dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdb

output of grep cdrom /etc/fstab
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom  iso9600 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro,0,0

output of lsmod
ext3
jdb
md
usb-ohci
usbcore

also trying 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hbd /mnt/cdrom' also gives me a block error.

>>> Matt Graham <danceswithcrows@usa.net> 08/23/02 12:50PM >>>
On Friday 23 August 2002 12:18, after a long battle with technology, Ben
Pfaff wrote:
> "Michael Harrington" <HarringM@michigan.gov> writes:
> > I am using Redhat 7.3 and I just did my first kernel recompilation.
> > It all went well except for when I boot to the new kernel and try
> > to mount a cdrom I am told by the system that /dev/cdrom is not a
> > valid block device.  I don't have a problem mounting the floppy
> > drive.  Can anyone give me a pointer on what I screwed up or how I
> > can fix the problem.
>
> Did you compile in support for IDE CD-ROM devices?

?!  Um.  Don't do that.  While pfaffben's comment about device support
is a good one, there's no reason to compile support for IDE CD-ROM
devices.  It's better to use IDE-SCSI emulation to treat all ATAPI
devices as SCSI devices, especially CD-ROMs since a number of very
useful programs (cdrecord, readcd, cdparanoia) won't work at all or
will work less well if they're talking to an IDE device instead of an
emulated SCSI device.

IMHO, the "IDE CD-ROM support" option should be made experimental and/or
not enabled by default.  That would make it easier for newbies with
CD-RWs to get them working correctly.

Post the output of "ls -l /dev/cdrom ; grep cdrom /etc/fstab" and
possible the output of "lsmod" so we can have more information to go
on.

--
   Life is a persistent hallucination, Death a mere illusion.
             Taxes, however, are Objective Reality.