[GLLUG] X Window Managers

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:44:16 -0700

Andre E. Purdy wrote:
> Actually, Apple allegedly has OS X ready to go for the PC but they're not letting anyone have it.
> Check this out for the full story:

> Sounds like we're stuck with GNOME or KDE for now (not that that's such a bad thing).
>
> -Andre

No, not a bad thing at all. I am looking forward to having a Powerbook
someday, though.

Seems a lot of people salivate over the idea of an x86 OS X, but they always
forget one important detail: Apple is a hardware company. Only in the past few
years have they even been back on their feet and they're still facing tough
competition... way too tough to reverse their whole business model. Therefore,
if we ever *were* to see x86 OS X, it could only be running on special
proprietary Apple hardware. In other words, there would be no difference from
the current Macs except that they'd be without the ability to run a single
third-party executable.

In light of this, we have no choice but to believe Apple when they say that
the x86 version of OS X only exists for research and integrity testing of the
codebase. Now if anyone at Apple would like to give me a call, I'd be more
than intersted in assisting with the testing...

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net