[GLLUG] internal and external DNS

Scott Overfield soverfield@gccmha.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:02:38 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BA41.2A00F170

Good Morning,
Here is my question.......My ISP hosts my DNS for routable addresses, I
would, however, like to set up a non-microsoft DNS server for my LAN, which
is using non-routable addresses....What is the best way to accomplishing
this? I do have a dual homed FreeBSD box set up behind my firewall,
functioning as a NAT box to provide internet access from the LAN....could
this box possibly be set up to respond to internal DNS queries, and forward
all others to the ISP's DNS server? If so, how is this configured? Please
excuse me if this is a newby question, I have zero experience with BIND or
any DNS server other than microsoft......however, I am interested in
banishing windoze, at least from the server room....I thought this might be
a good place to start.....

Scott Overfield
Network Administrator
Gratiot County Community Mental Health
989-466-4109
soverfield@gccmha.org

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BA41.2A00F170

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>internal and external DNS</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Good Morning,</FONT><FONT =
FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Here is my question.......My ISP =
hosts my DNS for routable addresses, I would, however, like to set up a =
non-microsoft DNS server for my LAN, which is using non-routable =
addresses....What is the best way to accomplishing this? I do have a =
dual homed FreeBSD box set up behind my firewall, functioning as a NAT =
box to provide internet access from the LAN....could this box possibly =
be set up to respond to internal DNS queries, and forward all others to =
the ISP's DNS server? If so, how is this configured? Please excuse me =
if this is a newby question, I have zero experience with BIND or any =
DNS server other than microsoft......however, I am interested in =
banishing windoze, at least from the server room....I thought this =
might be a good place to start.....</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">********************************************</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Scott Overfield</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Network Administrator</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Gratiot County Community Mental =
Health</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">989-466-4109</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">soverfield@gccmha.org</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>