[GLLUG] internal and external DNS

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
20 Feb 2002 11:21:33 -0800

Scott Overfield <soverfield@gccmha.org> writes:

> Good Morning, Here is my question.......My ISP hosts my DNS for
> routable addresses, I would, however, like to set up a non-microsoft
> DNS server for my LAN, which is using non-routable addresses....What
> is the best way to accomplishing this? I do have a dual homed FreeBSD
> box set up behind my firewall, functioning as a NAT box to provide
> internet access from the LAN....could this box possibly be set up to
> respond to internal DNS queries, and forward all others to the ISP's
> DNS server? If so, how is this configured?  [...]

Sure you can do that.  You just set up BIND to be authoritative
for whatever IP range and DNS domain you pick for your local
network.  This setup is covered pretty well by the usual BIND
FAQs and HOWTOs, but IIRC there's a quick-start guide on my
website:
        http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/writings/index.html
You want the article titled "IPv4 Masquerading for the
Hypothetical Geek".
--
"You know, they probably have special dorms for people like us."
--American Pie