soffice52

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:51:09 -0500

Marcel Kunath wrote:

> Hello,
>
> StarOffice 5.2 has a single user install and a network install off of which
> users make a short home directory install.
>
> I don't like this principle a lot. Does StarOffice 6.0 install the same way or
> are they going to change to machine installs without users having to have a
> separate /home install?

SO6 is the same. Even though SO6 drops all the web oriented stuff
(browser/email etc) and the integrated desktop it still maintains
identity information that is used (or at least can be used) in places,
plus user preferences and file storage is accomplished using the home
dir of the user. Without this profile information multiple users are not
able to personalize settings for any of the applications and file
storage is not private unless you come up with other means to make it
so.

> A reason why I don't like this network install is because I wonder how
> efficient it is.

My /home/staroffice6.0 is 1 meg. This is user prefs and file storage.
The executable is ran from the main install directory which has to
either _be_ in your path or you have to create a symlink to the binary
from someplace that _is_ in your path.

The main /opt/staroffice6.0 install is 293 meg.

> Can you do a network install on Linux server and then run a
> user /home install on a Linux client and a Windows client machine and have it
> work? Another way of asking is: Do you need a Windows server net install to run
> a Windows client soffice52 or does a Linux server net install suffice to
> service both platforms?

I've never thought to try it but I would highly doubt it. I do expect
that you can do a /net install of the windows version using a windows
machine onto a linux server with no problem. There's no way you can use
an install of the linux version with a windows box (or I'd be shocked if
you could) - the binaries and libraries on the platforms are totally
different. The windows version uses the typical .exe and .dll
executables and libraries which do not exist on the linux install.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us