mailing list format was Re: soffice52

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:08:39 -0500

Quoted from basher584 on Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 09:07:19PM -0500:
> I swear mentioned this a while ago, but I downloaded the archive did the 'ol,
> cat linux-user.mbox | formail +1 -ds >> new.linux-user.mbox
> mutt -f new.linux-user.mbox
> Sorted by To:.. and sure enough I didn't.
>
> Hmm.  I must have mentioned it at a meeting :)
>
> It would greatly help sorting important emails when I am in a rush.  I suppose there is a way to use procmail to do it, but I haven't done it in the last year or so.  Maybe next week if it doesn't get changed.
>
> -Ben

This is the procmail recipe that I use to separate the LUG list:

:0
* (^To|^Cc).*linux-user@egr.msu.edu
lists/lug

My associated .muttrc command to make MUTT aware that it's an
incoming mailbox:

mailboxes =lists/lug

For PINE, add it to the "incoming-folders" list in .pinerc
(.pinerc has instructions...), or use the config screen to add it.

Finally, a script to run procmail to filter a mailbox (default is
your normal /var/mail/... mailbox, have to change the "ORGMAIL="
line if you want something different).  And no, I didn't write this
script, found it somewhere a while ago... =) ):

#!/bin/sh

ORGMAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME

if cd $HOME &&
  test -s $ORGMAIL &&
  lockfile -r0 -l1024 .newmail.lock 2>/dev/null
then
  trap "rm -f .newmail.lock" 1 2 3 13 15
  umask 077
  lockfile -l1024 -ml