[GLLUG] Re: mailing list format was Re: soffice52

basher584 basher584@usol.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:50:19 -0500

For some reason I don't think that will change my subject line.

[couple of searches on google, reading some man pages, testing it out, and half an hour later]
=[procmailrc]===========================
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/test
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox
LOGFILE=$HOME/local/temp/procmail.log

:0fhw
* ^(To|Cc):.*linux-user@egr.msu.edu
* ^Subject: \/.*
| formail -I "Subject: [GLLUG] $MATCH"
$DEFAULT

(in my $HOME/mail/test/ directory)
mv inbox testbox
formail -s procmail -m $PWD/procmailrc < testbox
mutt -f inbox

ok, now that seemed to work but know I have to configure fetchmail and figure a way to spool the mail and run procmail on it.

It would be ten times easier if the lists admin would just change the Subject line.
Isn't that the default for most mails?
Its easier for beginners to sort their mail by sorting though the subject line in their MUA.

Dunno, maybe its just a few of us.

-Ben

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 08:08:39AM -0500, Edward Glowacki wrote:
> Quoted from basher584 on Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 09:07:19PM -0500:
> > I swear mentioned this a while ago, but I downloaded the archive did the 'ol,
> > cat linux-user.mbox | formail +1 -ds >> new.linux-user.mbox
> > mutt -f new.linux-user.mbox
> > Sorted by To:.. and sure enough I didn't.
> >
> > Hmm.  I must have mentioned it at a meeting :)
> >
> > It would greatly help sorting important emails when I am in a rush.  I suppose there is a way to use procmail to do it, but I haven't done it in the last year or so.  Maybe next week if it doesn't get changed.
> >
> > -Ben
>
> This is the procmail recipe that I use to separate the LUG list:
>
> :0
> * (^To|^Cc).*linux-user@egr.msu.edu
> lists/lug
>
> My associated .muttrc command to make MUTT aware that it's an
> incoming mailbox:
>
> mailboxes =lists/lug
>
> For PINE, add it to the "incoming-folders" list in .pinerc
> (.pinerc has instructions...), or use the config screen to add it.
[snip]