[GLLUG] MSU Degrees in Computer Information Systems

Felicia Berryman felicia@lon-capa.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:34:39 -0500

Hi Brian,

> To those of you who work at MSU or have graduated from there:
>
> I have been looking for an appropriate program of study and am having
> difficulty figuring out what college or program fits best. Hopefully some
> of you can share your experiences. I am currently a Microcomputer
> Coordinator at MSU and perform typical functions like maintaining a student
> lab, a library lab, faculty and staff PCs, file, print, & web servers, some
> database & web development, etc.
>
> Engineering has, well, engineers, not sysadmins. Telecommunication seems
> the closest bet, but when I look over the classes it all appears to be TV /
> radio related. There just doesn't seem to be an Information Technology Program.
>
> Any ideas? For those of you that have degrees semi-related to your career,
> what are they?

In a couple years, the college of Business is hoping to have a computer
systems degree.  It will be through the Department of Accounting and
Information Systems.  If you go to:
  http://www.bus.msu.edu/acc/people/faculty.html
You will notice that there is a good number of faculty dedicated to the
Information Services part.  The graduate program offers courses in
information system and databases, but I think there is only one
undergraduate course currently.  You might want to email the department
for more information though.  In the meantime, I think the LCC
programmer analyst degree is pretty good.  My boyfriend is pursuing that
now.  Of course, you can do the route that I have done and get a degree
in Astrophysics and get "stuck" in computers :-)  Actually, I'm taking
CSE courses right now and enjoy them very much.

Felicia
--
Felicia Berryman
LON-CAPA Coordinator