[GLLUG] Why php is better than asp

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:01:42 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:08:43PM -0400, Paul Donahue wrote:

   As for the College of Vet Med we use:

   ASP for some small in house utils/database front-ends for our
   students. (maintained by our in-house developer)

   and

   PHP for some IT related tools (maintained by me)

   it is good to say however that our developer is a big VB fan => ASP
   I am a big C fan => PHP

   hope this provides some insight. I too am interested in seeing what
   others are running. (poke Dennis)

Yipe!  I'm awake!  At EGR we are quite Unix-centric so no IIS/SQL
Server/ASP here.  PHP is our primary web development tool and we also
run many available PHP applications.  The EGR web site is
PHP/PostgreSQL driven:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/

(disclaimer: yes, we too hate the pop-up!  we were literally forced to
do it)

In the past year we switched from MySQL to PostgreSQL as our database
of choice... if people are interested why I can explain in another
email.  Much of our previous work has been migrated already.

When security is a concern or a setuid program is required, we use
taint Perl/CGI over PHP.  For example, removing print jobs from a web
interface.  Taint perl (the -T switch) provides an added layer of
checks to user data that is commonly overlooked and exploited in
programs. (A good linux meeting topic... someday)

A web site I recommend for your co-worker :)

http://asp2php.naken.cc/

dpk