[GLLUG] dual video with radeon 7000

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 07 May 2002 08:20:43 -0400

Thanks for the responses.

I was running X version 3.3.6 with the original video. When
I ran XFdrake and selected the Radeon card from the list it
asked for one of the CD's and installed X version 4.2.0
automatically.

I'll have to try these things after work tonight - I'll be
sure and let you know ;-).

I suspect I'm in for it with this mess though. There seems
to be no way to disable the built in video in CMOS/BIOS.
That was one of the first things I looked for. There is an
option in CMOS only for choosing whether the primary video
is AGP or PCI - no disable is present. I suspect the built
in video would be automatically disabled if I had been able
to find an AGP card that would fit the case. As I wan't able
to do that, I have to use a PCI card and it doesn't disable
the built in video - at least not entirely. I found that I
had to set the CMOS primary video setting for PCI in order
for the Radeon card to even be acknowledged by the system.
When I did, the CMOS updated itself to reflect that the
built in video card now has 0MB of ram but doesn't appear to
have actually disabled it. This is a dual boot box. When it
starts up I always hear a POST error (beeps) that indicate
video card failure, I presume because of the 0MB video ram
thing, but then it proceeds to boot into windows fine. The
Radeon card is ok there but the built in video shows that it
failed to start in the windows device manager.

This leads me to conclude that I've got to deal with the
integrated video along with the Radeon card in X and then
disable (or ignore) one of them. I'll (at least try to) do
something with this tonight and post the X config file
somewhere if I can't get it to go.

<begin headache>
If only [insert name of almost any proprietary manufacturer
here] hadn't been so short sighted in building a system
which can't really be expanded.
<bummer - no end to headache>

Thanks.

Mike