[GLLUG] console calendar/todo software?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 16:20:38 -0400

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 15:49, Brian Hoort wrote:
> In the process of learning GNU/Linux I have setup a Debian box to be
> used as my primary PC. I am trying to fill my software needs with
> Linux replacements, and have not yet found a calendar or todo
> manager. I have discovered gcal, and it has it's purpose, but it
> falls far short of a being scheduler. Ideally, these would be console
> apps, but could be for X. A search online turned up Emacs for the
> calendar, but I have been going with vi for the time being and don't
> want to involved in that mess quite yet. I haven't seen anything for
> todos. Any help out there?

In my experience, Reality diverges from Plans as soon as you make the
Plans[0], and you have to spend time syncing your Plans with Reality,
or they're useless, and that time could be better spent actually doing
stuff instead of planning.  (See "Organization" header.  Fnord.)

Anyway, I think what you want is called a PIM (Personal Information
Manager) and just about every one of those I can find has a GUI.
There's KOrganizer for KDE--looks pretty slick, played with it for a
bit before I remembered how useless these things are for me.  Evolution
says it offers MS-Outhouse-like time-tracking/scheduling, if you like
that.  Found one console-based PIM in development on Freshmeat,
http://freshmeat.net/projects/slpim/ , but it's marked as "alpha".  It
might work for you.

[0] Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle may have had something to do with
this.

--
   "Unfortunately, men befriend women in futile attempts to get a 3D
   accelerated video card thingy..." -- MegaHAL (trained on ASR),