[GLLUG] cdrecord slows machine

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:39:53 -0400

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 10:11, after a long battle with technology,
Adam McDougall wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:44:47AM -0400, Brad Fears wrote:
>>   Any idea why my machine slows to a crawl when I start the burn
>> process with cdrecord?  It doesn't seem to matter what burn speed is
>> used, or what type of burn I'm doing (ISO, CDRW erase, etc), it's
>> always so slow that I can't use the machine while it's burning.  The
>> burn always completely just fine.
>
>>   I have the latest version of cdrecord, but I get the same results
>> with other versions also.

> What kernel version?

What's the setup like?  Are you using an IDE CD-RW, a SCSI CD-RW, a
parport CD-RW...?  If it's IDE, is it on the same channel as the IDE
disk that contains your / ?  Have you tried turning DMA on for the
drive if it's IDE?  (hdparm -d1 /dev/hdN .)  What, if anything, does
dmesg say?  Is cdrecord running at priority -20 or something?  It
doesn't need to, normal priority works fine.

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001