[GLLUG] compact flash reader

Dylan M. misenhe1 at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Jul 17 14:27:30 EDT 2003

taking the advice from previous posts, instead of trying to get a camera
to mount in linux, i opted to pick up a USB CF reader, only, it won't
mount.  i picked up a copy of sg-utils to try and make my life easier.
i believe i have all the kernel support i need (scsi.o, sd.o, sg.o,
usb.o, devices.o, usb-ohci.o, usb-storage.o)

when i `sg_scan -i` i get:
/dev/sg0: scsi1 channel0=0 id=0 lun=0 [em] type=o
    SIIG CompactFlash Car 0113 [wide=0 sync=0 cmdq=0 sftre=0 pq=0x0]

and a sg_map shows:
/dev/sg0 /dev/sda

i threw the following in my /etc/fstab :
/dev/sda        /mnt/flash       vfat      noauto,users      0   0

i have full permissions on /dev/sda, but when i try to mount it, i recieve:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
       or too many mounted file systems

i plugged it into a windows box and the filesystem showed up as FAT, and
it was readable...

i'm using a PNY reader.  so am i just missing drivers, is it just my own
damn fault for buying the cheapest....err most affordable.... reader?
or did i just overlook something.

details: (if necessary)
slackware 9.1, kernel 2.4.21, AMD-760 chipset using USB1.1

thanks
dylan