[GLLUG] Building a new system

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Thu Jul 24 13:36:36 EDT 2003

Keyes, Randall wrote:
> If you can't laugh at yourself... :)
>
> Still, my wife is a PC gamer who constantly is cursing M$, so if you
> folk hear of a viable alternative for playing PC games on another OS,
> let us know. :)
>
> I hope to get WINE running on a machine for her this fall, but I've seen
> mixed reviews.  She's a heavy RPG'r.

Seriously... consider a console. I always thought of myself as a
computer gamer but lately gaming rigs have gotten *much* more expensive,
relatively speaking.

What do I mean by that? I mean that it used to be you *had* to drop
thousands of dollars on a system to satisfy a "computer person" like me.
At that point, spend $200 on a graphics card and *bam*, top-of-the-line
gaming system. So in a way, only the $200+ graphics card was "gaming"
expenditures.

Now that the processors and all have advanced so far past the apps,
that's not as true as it used to be. I have a Duron 800 MHz at home, and
*no desire* to upgrade. With a nVidia TNT2 in it, it's a great little
system for almost everything I want to do. To replace it now is
impossible, because you can't buy that cheap anymore. ;-)

Thus, to keep up with computer gaming now costs thousands for the latest
CPU and graphics and a lot of other stuff, which is now *not* necessary
to have a decently usable system. So to a person like me, the true price
of computer gaming has skyrocketed in the last few years.

The only issue is what kind of RPG your wife is into. The big consoles
like the PS2 tend to have what I think of as "nose stinging" RPGs...
after being led around by the nose for 40 hours, your nose starts
stinging. (I enjoyed Skies of Arcadia, for instance, but after being
raised on Fallout and other computer RPGs, it never once challenged me
with anything like a non-linear dungeon; I guess that would be too scary
for their target audience.)

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I'm seriously thinking of
picking up an XBox sometime in the next few months, for Star Wars:
Knights of the Old Republic, and Morrowind, for the upcoming "Game of
the Year Edition" (market-speak for "gold" version containing the
expansion packs built-in, apparently), both very computery-type RPGs in
terms of freedom. (The console crowd are going ga-ga over the freedom in
those games; hopefully "they" figure out what "we" computer RPG-ers have
known for a while and console reviewers start to bitch about linearity
in their RPGs... but I digress.) (Yeah, Microsoft may suck but I have no
loyalty and low opinions of Nintendo and Sony as corporations too, so
what are you going to do?)

Something worth thinking about. Also, some games do run OK in Wine, and
it can be worth trying them out to see which they are. For instance,
Fallout runs flawlessly under wine (except sometimes the videos lock up,
so skip them), so that's one less reason to reboot for me. You may not
be able to run them all in Linux, but every one you can move over is
that much cooler.