[GLLUG] Re: Building a New System

Marr marr at shianet.org
Fri Jul 25 05:07:05 EDT 2003

On Thursday 24 July 2003 10:25pm, c.tower at express56.com wrote:

> ...snip...
>
> In my recent experience, motherboards using nVidia's nForce (and probably
> nForce2) chips do not play well with Linux.

The nForce2 chipset isn't too bad, actually....

I bought a Shuttle SN41G2 (small form factor) rig
(http://www.shuttle.com/new/product/barebone/specs_b.asp?B_id=11) a few
months back. The Shuttle motherboard uses the nForce2 chipset. Most things
seem to work fine, although this isn't my "24/7 machine", so it doesn't get a
lot of runtime.

I've got it running Slackware 9.0. The video works great (it's actually got 2
VGA plugs right on the mobo for native dual-head) but requires the nVidia
(binary) driver. It supports TV-out too but I've not tried that yet. The
basic audio works fine (using the standard i810 audio driver), although I
haven't tested the advanced 5.1 surround sound (and probably won't for quite
some time). The Ethernet works fine but also requires a binary driver,
thereby "tainting" the kernel. The Firewire (IEEE-1394) was the biggest
letdown for me. It doesn't work (at least with Slackware 9.0's 2.4.20
kernel). I've read that nVidia claims that no custom driver is needed and
that the basic Firewire drivers should work, but I've had no success. I
suspect the Firewire will work in the near future; I just haven't bothered to
try a newer kernel (especially 2.6-pre stuff) since it was easier to just
slap my Firewire PCI card in it for now (to access an external Firewire hard
disk drive). The temperature/voltage sensing works pretty well (e.g. using
the 'lm_sensors' project to read the chip) but for some strange reason, it
kicks the primary exhaust fan into high-speed mode (which is too loud for my
tastes) every time I load a particular kernel module ('it87') needed by
'lm_sensors' and I haven't found a way to kick the fan back into low-RPM mode
(short of a reboot).

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the nForce2 chipset. I could live with the
binary video driver, but it bugs me a bit that the Ethernet driver is binary
too. Come on, nVidia -- how proprietary could a simple 10/100baseT chipset
really be? On the plus side, the nVidia video/Ethernet drivers are
dirt-simple to compile/install and the video driver's options are very well
documented in an attached README file.

FWIW....

Bill Marr