[GLLUG] Mouse detection

Brad Fears brad@mtsdev.com
26 Mar 2003 10:21:09 -0500

I've been having trouble going back and forth from external mouse to
built-in touchpad on my laptop (using RH 8).  Is there any way for Linux
to detect the presence of an external mouse during boot?  Kudzu seems to
notice the difference at times when the external mouse is no longer
plugged in, but it seems inconsistent.

I've been using a script to replace the mouse section in my XF86Config
file when I switch (both mice use /dev/psaux, so all I normally modify
is the driver parameter), but I'd like to have the script run before X
fires up so I don't have to restart it after it gets modified.

I've looked for a generic driver that supports both, but since the
external mouse has a wheel, generic drivers won't cut it.

Thanks.
--Brad Fears