[GLLUG] Alternate FTP programs?

Mike Reed mike at mreed.org
Wed Aug 11 18:31:50 EDT 2004

> Impact wrote:
>> Anyone know of any alternate FTP servers for linux?
>> All it needs to be is stable/easy to config.
>> Been using ProFTPd, anyone know of anything better I
>> should look into?
>
> Most Debian mirrors have switched to vsftpd:
>
> [dpk at trinity:~] apt-cache show vsftpd | egrep
> "^(Description| )"
>   A lightweight, efficient FTP server written from the
> ground up with
>   security in mind.
>   .
>   vsftpd supports both anonymous and non-anonymous FTP,
> PAM authentication,
>   bandwidth limiting, and the Linux sendfile() facility.
>
> dpk

I've had good experiences with Pure-FTPd (pureftpd.org)

"Pure-FTPd is a free (BSD), secure, production-quality and
standard-conformant FTP server based upon Troll-FTPd. It
doesn't provide useless bells and whistles, but focuses on
efficiency and ease of use. It provides simple answers to
common needs, plus unique useful features for personal
users as well as hosting providers."