[GLLUG] Linux

Jeffrey Utter utterjef at msu.edu
Mon Jan 26 08:57:23 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:32:29AM -0500, Mike Bhaumik wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can anybody tell me how to connect to the internet from Linux (using
> Comcast broadband connection thru cable), please .
> I'm connected thru the cable modem. I can ping the proxy server and the
> DNS serevrs.
>
> The address of the proxy server was provided to me by a Comcast tech
> but he can't help further as Comcast does not support Linux.
>
> I got the DNS server addresses after I ran dhclient.
>
> I configured my browser (Mozilla and Opera) to use the proxy address.
> But when I try to visit some page it just says something like 'SAS
> server restricted page'.
>
> Appreciate any help. Regards

First off, you should not need the proxy at all.

Second is your cable modem itself connected?
Once the cable modem itself is connected and you have your computer hooked to it properly, I recommend something like a Lynksys unless you already have better at home.  Then that's all you need.  Just configure your computer to use the NIC card and use DHCP for info, which it sounds like that is all you need to do.

After that all should be good.  The setup has three basic steps..

1.  get the modem up and connected
2.  connect the modem to the computer
3.  setup the computer to use the LAN as it's net access.

It should be that easy.

Jeffrey Utter