[GLLUG] emerge freezing up and Good Anti-virus software

Alex Nelson anelson at ansoftcomputing.com
Wed Jun 2 23:08:12 EDT 2004

Seth:

If you use the -p switch to emerge, it will "pretend" to emerge the
package(s). This is an easy way to see what will actually get installed
if you decide to emerge the package. No actual work is done though. You
might try running the mirrorselect tool if you have it already
installed. It sounds to me like you may be having problems with the
downloads of the ebuilds. But I may be way off base as the emerge should
eventually time out and come back to a command prompt. If you can get a
screenshot of what happens or a copy of the emerge logs and send that to
me, I will take a look and see if I can spot anything else. You also
might try searching the gmane.org archives from the gentoo-user mailing
list and see if there is anything there that might help as well. Good
luck and happy Gentooing! (Hopefully!)

--
Alex Nelson <anelson at ansoftcomputing.com>
ANSoft Computing