[GLLUG] cd-rw drives and hard drives

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jun 21 10:02:21 EDT 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 09:16, after a long battle with technology, Scott
Henry Harrison wrote:
> Recently disappointed by prices in Staples and CompUSA
> on CD-RW drives and hard drives...

Yeah, they don't ever give you the best prices.

> Any recommendations about local (or remote/online) vendors
> that provide decent prices for these kind of components?

http://pricewatch.com/ ?  You can get a Lite-On 24x10x40 IDE CD-RW for
$24 plus shipping there.

> (I have heard of CD-RW drives going for $19 from coupons
> in Sunday papers, etc.  Is that the way to go?)

When it comes to CD-RWs, you get what you pay for.  I bought a couple of
cheap CD-RWs from vendors found via pricewatch, and both drives failed
miserably with uncorrectable hardware problems within a month after the
warranties expired.  So I bought a Plextor drive, and it's been going
for 3 years.  You can do what you like, but I'd rather spend a little
more money on quality components than replace cheap components every
year.  YMMV.

--
...In Hong Kong action movies, they don't have Hollywood Guns with
infinite bullet supplies.  Instead, they have Hong Kong Pants(tm) which