[GLLUG] Re: cd-rw drives and hard drives

Jolyon Michael Vincent vincen21 at msu.edu
Tue Jun 22 04:47:35 EDT 2004

Matt Graham writes:

> On Monday 21 June 2004 09:16, after a long battle with technology, Scott
> Henry Harrison wrote:
>> Recently disappointed by prices in Staples and CompUSA
>> on CD-RW drives and hard drives...
>
> Yeah, they don't ever give you the best prices.
>
>> Any recommendations about local (or remote/online) vendors
>> that provide decent prices for these kind of components?
>
> http://pricewatch.com/ ?  You can get a Lite-On 24x10x40 IDE CD-RW for
> $24 plus shipping there.
>
>> (I have heard of CD-RW drives going for $19 from coupons
>> in Sunday papers, etc.  Is that the way to go?)
>
> When it comes to CD-RWs, you get what you pay for.  I bought a couple of
> cheap CD-RWs from vendors found via pricewatch, and both drives failed
> miserably with uncorrectable hardware problems within a month after the
> warranties expired.  So I bought a Plextor drive, and it's been going
> for 3 years.  You can do what you like, but I'd rather spend a little
> more money on quality components than replace cheap components every
> year.  YMMV.

If you give me a model number and name, I will return to you with a price. I
buy wholesale direct from the distribution channel and offer my prices to
the public. I garuntee to sell to you at or below 10% off of MSRP (retail
list).

If you are interested in a line card send me an email and I will tell you
what brands I carry. Currently I use two distributors, however mass
merchandisers like wal-mart may have lower prices because they buy in bulk,
which gives them a better pricing Tier. Good luck, and happy hunting!