[GLLUG] Open Source presentation

G Grant ggrant at detroitaerospace.com
Wed Nov 10 11:43:02 EST 2004

I would look through Red Hat and MySQL for some excellent case studies for profit/non-profit organizations seeing a positive ROI through the use of open source applications.

I have done several of these presentations and would recommend targeting the specific needs of those attending. I would think that file/print sharing; desktop productivity, publishing, etc. would be of special concern to an organization of this type (not knowing the audience, this is an assumption).  Also, re-use of hardware that would be considered end of life for resource hungry Windows desktop and applications. As with any organization looking to save money and increase operational efficiency with open source, a ROI analysis would be a good slide to put in that shows comparable cost of using proprietary vs. open source applications.

I think the Linux terminal server project, educational version, has a good spreadsheet that broke down cost variations between the two but do not have the link with me at the moment.