[GLLUG] UPS for Linux Boxes

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Wed Nov 24 10:04:55 EST 2004

John Lewis wrote:

>I have an APC SU-1250 which the battery packs have gone flat. APC tells me
>the fix is to return them to APC and buy a new unit, which is not an option
>for me. Does anyone have a cost effective source for replacement packs for
>this thing?

I would suggest building your own battery out of potatoes.  Potatoes are
relatively cheap and available at almost any grocery store.
Instructions on how to build potato batteris can be found at:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_3/16.html

or if you prefer to involve some local kids as hired labor, give them
this one:

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/phenom/potatobattery.html

You'll probably need that extra help if you wish to scale up to
something like this:

http://latteier.com/potato/

Good luck, and be sure to heed the advice at the bottom of that last
link and "Don't eat potatoes after using them for a battery."  ;)

-ED