Fwd: Re: [GLLUG] VPN

Perry_rg peregryn2356 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 01:14:47 EST 2005

Oops, ended up sending my response just to Charles the first time.  So now I am forwarding my response to Brian and to the GLLUG list.

Perry_rg <peregryn2356 at yahoo.com> wrote:Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:11:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Perry_rg

Subject: Re: [GLLUG] VPN
To: Charles Ulrich

Brian,

The Linksys Model BEFSX41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router provides a VPN Endpoint and a 4-port switch.  One of the switch ports can also be used to provide a DMZ.

Perry Godwin
Thelema Networks
peregryn2356 at yahoo.com

Charles Ulrich <dincht at securenym.net> wrote:
Brian Hoort wrote:
> Oh wise persons on the mount,
>
> A friend of mine runs a small biz out of his home. There are 4 full
> time employees, I think. He's very mobile, and uses his laptop
> frequently from other locations with high-speed access. He wants to
> be able to run a certain app that you have to connect to a server
> for. I believe this calls for VPN, no? (They are running all
> Windows PCs).
>
> I'm trying to hash-out our options. I know one is to setup a Linux
> server and setup SWAN or whatever VPN. I want to know what my other
> options are as well before I make a pitch.
>
> Are there wireless/router/switches like boxes available with VPN?
> (Think Linksys, Dlink, etc.). It seems this would be a popular
> feature, and would be a lot more sensible in regards to future
> maintenance than setting up a whole server just for VPN.
>
> Thanks, oh wise persons,

Yes, it sounds like VPN is what would suit your scenario the best
(unless, as Sean noted, the Windows application happens to be highly
bandwidth-intensive), though I haven't dabbled in VPN yet and can't be
considered a highly reliable source in that regard. :P

I don't have any experience with VPN-enabled hardware routers, but
they're probably quite expensive. Serveral Linux and BSD-based
router/firewall distributions (IPCop, m0n0wall) have VPN functions built
into them and might be a cheaper solution since you can usually just
slap a couple of NICs into an ancient machine, install the software, and
go to town.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net

* Be Aware! * Be Alert! * Learn! * Grow! * Take Action! *

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"   Edmund Burke, British statesman and philosopher (1729-1797)

"In Germany they came first for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up."  Martin Niemöller (1892-1984)